East of the Sun, West of the Moon

2007/6/2

Jericho go bye-bye?

Filed under: News — Erwin @ 9:44 pm

In the it’s a small world category of events, I had ordered a few more bags of oriental mix and when they arrived, I found a free sample of gigundamundo yogurt raisins (that are a hit with everyone here, oh dear), which prompted me to go back to the website to at the details and price, and such.

That’s when I noticed the NUTS for Jericho section on their front page, with the subtitle NUTS! Save Jericho! Jericho fans unite!. Eh. What? Since when does Jericho need saving, I thought they were doing alright?!

Apparently Jericho was canceled about two weeks ago, and because I have other things to do than watch a CBS show about its fall line-up or so, I hadn’t heard or read about it yet. CBS’s excuse appears to be that the ratings dropped. Big shocking surprise:

The ratings were down 25% following the nearly three-month hiatus and subsequent return opposite American Idol.[7] During its one season run, it ranked 48th, with an average of 9.5 million viewers in the United States.

Yeah, I guess nearly 10 million viewers just isn’t enough, these days. Idiots.

Now the fans have taken to sending bags and bags of nuts to CBS executives in NY and LA, a reference to the last aired episode, where Jake Green (Skeet Ulrich) calls an offer of surrender “nuts”. Is it going to work? Who knows. But the NutsOnline folks initially just happened to be surprised by the unusual amount and target of bags and bags of nuts being ordered, then stepped in to help the fans pool their resources, saving a bunch on shipping that way.

In the history of television these actions don’t often work, but I’ll cross my fingers that somehow, somewhere, the fans of the series (myself included) can get something better than the collection of cliffhangers that the producers gave us, because they weren’t expecting this cancellation either!

Nuts!

16 Comments

1. Have you told CBS how you feel? We need your voice!

Join the fight!
    NUTS to CBS! Watch out, Les!!
    SAVE JERICHO!!

Comment by Mergele — 2007/6/2 @ 10:13 pm

2. Not directly but I did sign the petition. 🙂

Comment by Erwin — 2007/6/2 @ 10:58 pm

3. It isn’t just the hiatus or just being in a not so good time slot, it was also because CBS failed to count all those watching JERICHO online at CBS, (provided for free by CBS) ITUNES, and so on.
    First CBS encourages us to watch online and then penalizes us for doing so by not counting us as viewers.
    This makes no sense to me.
    I am angry and I am sad and I want JERICHO back for another season. My entire family of four watch this show every week….never missed an episode. We LOVED IT!
    And what does CBS do? Leaves us hanging right in the middle of a war. THAT IS SO WRONG!!
    CBS will not be on in my home until JERICHO is back where it should be.
    PLEASE HELP US?
    Email Nina.Tassler@cbs.com or lmoonves@cbs.com and tell them what JERICHO has meant to you.

“Make a stand here.” Johnston Green RIP

Comment by Grace — 2007/6/3 @ 1:03 am

4. No more CBS for us. We have tivo,dvds, cable, tons of channels, books, places to go, music, text messages, phones, each other, so bye-bye CBS. Jericho was good. It had good actors and the plot was moving along well and you guys dropped it. Imbeciles.

Comment by Jane C Matiella — 2007/6/4 @ 3:33 am

5. Our family of four are also not watching CBS until they bring JERICHO back for another season.
    Anyone else??

Comment by Nancy — 2007/6/4 @ 4:13 am

6. CBS our fight is not over by a long shot, we intend to win this battle once and for all. We (us fans) will not give up. We have only just begun.

Sincerely
    Mad as Hell

Comment by Karen Tropp — 2007/6/4 @ 10:22 am

7. CBS our fight is not over by a long shot, we intend to win this battle once and for all. We (us fans) will not give up. We have only just begun.

Sincerely
    Pissed off Fan

Comment by Karen Tropp — 2007/6/4 @ 10:23 am

8. CBS our fight is not over by a long shot, we intend to win this battle once and for all. We (us fans) will not give in.

Sincerely
    Pissed off Fan

Comment by Karen Tropp — 2007/6/4 @ 10:23 am

9. CBS our fight is not over by a long shot, we intend to win this battle once and for all. We (us fans) will not quit till it’s over.

Sincerely
    Pissed off Fan

Comment by Karen Tropp — 2007/6/4 @ 10:24 am

10. I sympathize with the anger, frustration, but when you comment in my blog, you talk to me, or to other people commenting here; Clearly copy’n’pasted responses that are obviously not directed to anyone here are not helping your cause with me. Unless you have something more original to say, don’t bother.

Comment by Erwin — 2007/6/4 @ 11:49 am

11. do you have a cause, or is there a point to this. All I’m saying is all of us fans needs to stick together. I understand you have showed some support to the cause Thank You, it’s just nice to be able to comment on the matter at hand. The NUTS which I think was a good start, it showed spirit.

Sincerely,
    Fighter For Jericho

Comment by Karen Tropp — 2007/6/4 @ 12:16 pm

12. Yes I have a point. I hate spammers and the way you were posting 4 nearly identical comments on this entry is annoyingly similar to the comment-spam I get to block on my (fairly quiet) blog every single day. If you’d made your point once, or had said something original, I wouldn’t have minded, but now you’re not any better than the next spam-bot. I’ll remind myself that we’re on the same side here, and I urge you to do the same and not irritate the hell out of potential allies with your recruiting tactics.

Comment by Erwin — 2007/6/5 @ 2:52 am

13. Wat eet jij toch rare dingen. Kan je niet net als iedere andere Nederlander gewoon kaas en hagelslag importeren?

Comment by annemarie — 2007/6/6 @ 4:52 pm

14. Ja hoor, en toevallig zijn m’n ouders hier nu voor een bezoek van 3 weken en kwamen natuurlijk met kaas en hagelslag en nog wat andere dingen in hun koffers aan. 😉

Comment by Erwin — 2007/6/6 @ 5:08 pm

15. Wat dat betreft zijn we (en ze) allemaal hetzelfde. Wij wonen nu 6 jaar buiten Nederland en nog altijd neemt iedereen kaas, hagelslag en drop mee. Mijn ouders komen begin juli en dan kan ik de (koel)kast maar beter leeg hebben. Nu nog even brie en mimolette, maar dat is ook genieten. Vind dit trouwens wel een beetje een rare plaats om een discussie over eten te hebben en waarschijnlijk erg onbegrijpelijk voor andere lezers. Well, nearly time 2 put the kids 2 bed so au revoir et a bientot.
    Annemarie

Comment by annemarie — 2007/6/12 @ 4:47 pm

16. Dat niet iedereen het kan lezen kan me niet zoveel schelen. 🙂

Beetje late reactie, maar als je m’n blog volgt dan snap je waarschijnlijk wel waarom!

Comment by Erwin — 2007/6/19 @ 10:18 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress