East of the Sun, West of the Moon

2006/3/20

!&$*#! comments

Filed under: Site,Software — Erwin @ 3:51 pm

Ok, that was the final straw!

There had occasionally been minor floods of spam-comments, like a dozen or so and then nothing or not much for days or weeks. Then in the past 24 hours there were over 150 of them! I’d like a game of poker as much as the next person but after all that comment-spam from these poker sites (I assume, given the keywords used) I’ll have a bad taste in my mouth next time I actually play.

So now I’ve gone and installed Spam Karma 2 and I get to sit back, cross my fingers, and find out how well that works for me and this site.

All the settings are pretty much default, which I assume are sufficiently sane, but I will of course keep an eye on the logs to make sure I’m not accidentally blocking legit comments when there are some, every few months. 😉

7 Comments

1. A quick test-comment, ignore please.

Comment by Erwin — 2006/3/20 @ 3:53 pm

2. Just a comment to say HI!

Comment by Annie — 2006/3/20 @ 6:51 pm

3. Hi! Glad to see you still read along here too. 🙂

Comment by Erwin — 2006/3/20 @ 7:04 pm

4. Of course I do!! 😀

Comment by Annie — 2006/3/20 @ 7:17 pm

5. I am a faithful also. And fuck, man, 150 spam comments in 24 hours is fucking retarded. Don’t these people realize that maybe we (non-idiot inhabitants of this virtual realm) would be more lenient if they didn’t royally fuck things over wherever they went. How productive is demolishing a web site or blog or wiki with ads to the point where it doesn’t even function anymore? The sad part about it all is that these people have GOT to have some kind of incentive for doing what they’re doing. Which means some stupid mother fucker out there is actually clicking their links, hoping to … I don’t know, play poker.

Comment by Kalle — 2006/3/20 @ 7:17 pm

6. Yes, it’s fucking ridiculous. It’s also quite scary that there are blogs out there that have it worse, just like it’s scary to know there are people out there that get hundreds if not thousands of spam (email) messages per day.

With millions of spam messages (blogs and email) going out every day, if even 0.1% is dumb enough to click through to a website (triggering a referral payment somewhere) or actually purchase what’s on offer, it makes it worth their while. A difficult battle to fight, to educate everyone out there.

Comment by Erwin — 2006/3/20 @ 7:30 pm

7. I suppose so, yes, but 0.1% is a lot considering how royally retarded these attempts truly are.

Speaking of spam software though, when I set the MV blog + my blog up, I enabled the WordPress Akismet [http://akismet.com/] plugin, which supposedly checks all comments against the Akismet web service. But it requires a key that you can only get by creating a blog at wordpress.com, even if you never use it. Silly, that, but oh well, as long as it works. And I haven’t received any spam entries. Though I haven’t actually gone so far as to enable anyone to comment without moderating the comments, so if it ever happened, I would only have a bunch of “deny this comment” clicking to do.

Comment by Kalle — 2006/3/20 @ 7:56 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress